It’s January and we’ve all set new goals for our fitness and health or rolled over some of our 2015 goals, we know, it happens to the best of us. Study shows that the best ways to stay on track with goals are to break them down into smaller targets and develop smaller habits.
Here are some of the best free, at-your-own-pace apps that can assist you in making 2016 your best year yet, and maintain your health and fitness resolutions.
1. Fooducate – Fooducate teaches you how to eat healthy by assigning a letter grade to each food item you’re getting ready to eat. The self-proclaimed “diet toolbox” helps users lose weight by eating real foods, tracking your progress within the app and also providing you support from its user-community. The grading system digs deeper into each food product’s ingredients, and identifies trans fats, MSG, GMOs, excessive sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and other unhealthy additives. The app also provides in-app purchases to give you specialized diets such as paleo, low-carb, weekly health and diet tips, etc.
2. QuitNow – If you’re considering putting the butts down and quit smoking, this app presents you with a nice personalized dashboard, showing you the day you quit smoking, your streak without smoking, the amount of cigarettes you haven’t smoked, and the amount of money you’ve saved by ditching the habit. It also shows you milestones to unlock and encouragements along your journey and reward badges to keep you motivated. You can share your progress and also get tips from others within the community, and also offer your support to others who are starting out on their own journeys.
3. Nike Running app – Whether you’re looking to take your first run since your high school PE days or you want to beat your personal records, this beautifully designed helps turn you from a couch-sitting-Netflix-binge-watcher-non-runner to achieving your first 5K and even a marathon, if you’ve been challenged to do so. The app is designed to build you up over an 8-week period slowly and steady over a series or guided runs.
4. Sworkit Lite – Your new favorite personal trainer tool right in your hands. Sworkit provides access to guided video workouts which you can do anywhere and in small time chunks to fit into the busiest of schedules. You can create custom workouts or use the library of workouts and exercises available, for any needs you have. The app conveniently combines interval training with randomized exercises to help you maximize the effectiveness of every workout. Just choose your workout length, target area of your body, and begin. Great app for beginners and also advanced individuals. You can also upgrade to the Sworkit pro for even more features.
5. Stop, Breathe & Think – If your goal is to learn how to meditate or to become more mindful, the SB&T app is a great meditation building tool for anyone. You check-in and select how you are feeling from a list of emotions, and you’ll be guided to a recommended choice of audio meditations. The app guides you through deepening your thoughts and emotions and help you to develop a perspective of kindness and compassion.
What are your best apps for staying on track with your new year resolutions and fitness goals?
Content provided by Hipsternomics.com