Getting ready for the three-day weekend ahead? Labor Day is approaching, and with it comes down end-of-summer BBQs, and last minute getaways to the beach. This year, close out the summer the right way by making some delicious Basil Hayden’s Bourbon, Baker’s Bourbon and Knob Creek Bourbon recipes to enjoy with friends and family!
Perfect for sipping on the deck, beach or next to a bonfire, the Basil Hayden’s® Summer’s End Sazerac will elevate your Labor Day weekend festivities. Made with the bourbon’s trademark spicy finish in mind, this recipe includes a Cajun Spice Syrup that adds a unique twist on this classic cocktail. Easily make the syrup yourself with three ingredients, and enjoy the cocktail all weekend.
If you’re looking for a higher proof cocktail, go for the Baker’s® CItrus Sazerac. The grapefruit fruity flavor echoes summer while whiskey barrel bitters and cane sugar bridge the cocktail to fall.
For those with a sweet tooth, make the Knob Creek® Smoke & Char cocktail. Impress your guests by grilling the peaches in this recipe and muddling them with basil leaves to make a cocktail with a hint of peach flavoring.
After you’re done grilling peaches for your cocktail, grill up some Knob Creek® Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon Smoked Shortribs. Made by Celebrity Chef Michael Symon, this recipe is designed to impress your guests and create mouth-watering short ribs that will make your friends want to invite themselves over every Labor Day weekend. Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve is mixed into a brine to bring its big, full flavor to your dinner.
Baker’s® Citrus Sazerac
- 1 1/2 parts Baker’s Bourbon 1/2 part Grapefruit Liqueur
- 1 tsp of Cane Syrup*
- 1 dash of Angostura® Bitters 1 dash of Whiskey Barrel Bitters
- Spritz a chilled Sazerac glass with honey whiskey liqueur.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice and stir well.
- Pour into the spritzed Sazerac glass and garnish with a grapefruit twist.
*Cane Syrup Recipe
- 2 parts cane sugar
- 1 part water
- Combine 2 parts cane sugar and 1 part hot water.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved, then refrigerate.
Basil Hayden’s® Summer’s End Sazerac
By Brittini Rae Peterson (Los Angeles, CA)
- 2 parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
- 1/2 part Cajun Spice Syrup*
- 5 dashes Peychaud’s® Bitters
- 2 dashes Angostrua® Bitters
- Lemon Zest
- Sprig of Thyme
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir until well chilled and strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with the zest of a lemon and a sprig of thyme.
Knob Creek® Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon Smoked Shortribs
By Celebrity Chef Michael Symon
- 1 part Knob Creek® Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon
- 6, 4-5” Long Beef Shortribs
- ¼ cup Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 cups Warm Water
- 1 Orange Peel
- 1 tablespoon Black Peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon Whole Coriander
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Apple Wood Chips For Smoking
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the salt and sugar into the warm water until they dissolve.
- Whisk in the Knob Creek® Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon, orange peel, peppercorns, coriander, bay leaves and rosemary.
- Submerge the short ribs into the brine, making sure they are fully covered.
- Refrigerate and brine overnight.
- The next day, remove the short ribs from the brine and pat them dry.
- Discard the brine.
- Lightly season all of the ribs with salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, piling the charcoal on only one side.
- When the charcoal is burning hot, add a handful of woodchips on top and place the short ribs bone side down on the non-charcoal side of the grill.
- Put the lid down and smoke for about 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, add another handful of wood chips, put the lid back down and cook for another 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Check the ribs after an hour. The temp should reach about 180 degrees.
- When the ribs are just about cooked through, flip them over to the hot side of the grill for a few minutes.
- Remove to a platter and serve.
Knob Creek® Smoke & Char
By Celebrity Chef Michael Symon
- 2 parts Knob Creek® Smoked Maple Bourbon
- ½ part Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ part Demerara Syrup
- 2 slices of Charred Peaches
- 4 large Basil Leaves
- Char peaches slices on the grill until nice grill marks appear.
- Muddle charred peach slices with basil leaves and set aside.
- Add Knob Creek® Smoked Maple, fresh lemon juice, Demerara syrup and muddled peach and basil mixture to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass.
*This was a sponsored post in collaboration with Basil Hayden’s, Knob Creek and Baker’s Bourbon